Glass Door Safety

Each year, millions of people enjoy the warmth, comfort and ambiance of their hearth products during the heating season. Caution should be taken, however, when operating fireplaces and stoves, for the glass panels and other surfaces can become extremely hot due to the high efficiency of the products.

The temperature of a glass panel in particular can increase within a few minutes of ignition of the appliance and can remain hot long after the product is turned off. Touching the fireplace or stove glass can lead to significant burn injuries. Please download the brochure below for safety tips and guidelines on how to keep your family safe.
Click Here for Glass Door PDF


Fireplace Safety

  • Open the damper.
  • Make sure chimneys and vents are clear of creosote build-up or obstructions.
  • Clean out ashes from previous wood fires.
  • Use a fire screen in front of the fireplace to prevent sparks.
  • Make sure the area around the fireplace is clear of furniture, books, newspapers and other potentially flammable materials.
  • Check the batteries in smoke detectors to ensure proper operation.
  • Make sure all firewood is dry and well seasoned.
  • For gas fireplaces, clean the fan and related air circulation passages and ensure the vents are unobstructed and able to do their job.
  • Make sure the fire is completely out before going to bed or leaving the house.
  • Make sure fireplace glass doors are installed properly.
  • Don’t use more than one set of manufactured fire logs at a time.
  • Never burn garbage, charcoal or plastic in the fireplace.
  • Never use gasoline or any other liquid accelerant to help start a fire.
  • Keep small children and pets away from the fireplace.
  • Never leave a fire unattended.
  • If building a wood fire, keep the fire proportionate to the size of the fireplace.
  • Don’t close the damper until the embers have completely stopped burning.


Barbeque Safety

  • If bringing the barbecue out of winter storage, be sure to place it on a stable base to prevent it from falling over.
  • If your barbecue is gas, check the tubes that lead into the burner for any blockage from insects or old grease. Clean it with pipe cleaner.
  • Check gas grill hoses for cracking, brittleness or leaks.
  • Avoid putting the grill under low hanging trees or patiocovers. Never use a grill indoors. Use the grill at least 10 feet from house, garage or carport.
  • If using charcoal, never add fluid after the grill has already been lit. After the unit has been lit, be certain the starter fluid container is tightly closed and that matches or lighters are stored away from the flame and a child’s reach. Never use gasoline to start a charcoal fire.
  • Don’t permit children to play near the barbecue when in use. The unit is deceiving because a child may think only the inside is hot. Never leave a barbecue unsupervised.
  • Avoid wearing loose-fitting clothing which may come in contact with flames.
  • Remember to keep a bucket of water, garden hose or fire extinguisher nearby to douse out-of-control flames.
  • Always let coals set overnight before disposing of them.
  • Never store propane tanks in your home or garage.
  • When using a natural or propane gas barbecue, be sure all connections are tight. Before using your barbecue for first time each season, check all
  • connections for leaks using a soapy water solution.
  • Always carefully follow the manufacturer’s instructions for lighting and using your barbecue.

For a Printable link to this information Click Here

Sign up for NWHPBA Hearth Insight!

Sign up for NWHPBA Hearth Insight!

Get our monthly newsletter for NWHPBA in your inbox. 

You have Successfully Subscribed!